Saturday, March 23, 2013

iPad X Reflector X iMovie = iPad Screencasts

I frequently get questions from people asking how to create screencasts of an iPad. I have tried a number of workflow scenarios that started with various document camera setups, but have settled on the setup below.

The tools used include:

  • QuickTime Pro
  • Reflector App
  • iMovie (MacBook)

The process is quite simple and is described in the image below:

  1. Mirror an iPad to a MacBook using Reflector
  2. Use QuickTime to record the mirrored iPad
  3. Record and create the screencast. I don't record my voice in this process, instead I focus on the process I am capturing on an iPad.
  4. Import the video recorded with QuickTime into iMovie. Record the voice overs in iMovie & export the final product to either Vimeo or YouTube.

Enjoy!

As a side note. I always like to point out what I use to create these posts.

The image above was created in Explain Everything & exported to the camera roll.

The blog post was written using Blogsy & posted to this blogger hosted blog.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You can also record your voice using QuickTime so you don't have to worry about synchronizing.

    I found it's helpful to use the mouse pointer on the Mac to show where I'm about to click on the iPad (since there's no easy way to show finger taps).

    Thanks for the great post and blog.

    ReplyDelete